Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Me & My Shadow (do everything together)

Astrid is my little shadow, especially now that we get to spend all day together.

She follows me around everywhere I go and wants to see what I'm doing, and does the same. If I'm putting on lotion, she wants lotion too. If I'm flossing, she wants to floss too. If I'm putting on lip balm, I have to put some on her too. Even underarm deodorant. I put the cap on and pretend to put some on her. The same goes with blush. When there's barely anything left on the brush I brush some on her cheeks. In return I get the biggest smile.

On hot afternoons she occasionally sleeps downstairs with me on the couch. I feel closer to her than I ever have before. It's really sweet to watch her sleep, and feel her breathing. She's my little baby. I know she feels it too because she'll ask "Mama Astrid sleep?" and will give me hugs and kisses. A new thing that she does now that just melts my heart is - she'll hold her outstretched arms to me and beacons me with her hands and says, "Come here". It sounds more like "com'ere", and sometimes it's "Mama com'ere". It means she wants to be close to me. I rush to "come here" and she wraps her little arms around my neck. Awww...I just melt into mommy bliss.

People have also pointed out to me, "Look, you're dressed alike." As you can see from the photo above I'm wearing a lavender colored top and Astrid is wearing lavender colored shorts. Since I pick out and buy her clothes, it's not a stretch to say we have the same fashion sense.

I was describing to U. the routine of getting Astrid to go poo poo in her potty, which she does everyday now. (U. hasn't been able to get her to go #2 while taking care of her on the weekends, so I needed to fill him in how to get it done.) I said to wait half an hour or so after a meal, and depending on what she ate (which is usually what I eat), if you feel like "going" she'll feel like "going" too. Her pediatrician recommended that when I go potty, I have Astrid go potty too, pointing out "Mama's going potty. Do you need to go potty too?" So I did, and it works. When you're a parent, you can't be shy about this kind of stuff. It's only natural!

U. laughed and asked, "You guys go to the bathroom at the same time?"

Me: "Yep."

U. - "What's next? You're both going to have your periods at the same time too?"

Me: (laughing) "You know it's going to happen at one point."

I'm so glad I have a daughter. I'm looking forward to more of the mother/daughter bonding to come.

No comments: