Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Friday, January 20, 2006

That's your baby?

Astrid and I went shopping today to pick up a couple things for our trip to Florida. While in the baby section a woman and her little boy were standing nearby us. Astrid could see them from her vantage point sitting in her carseat attached to the shopping cart. She immediately turned on her charm and gave lots of coy looks and big smiles. The woman oohed and ahhed and kept saying how adorable Astrid was. She said her husband would love to see her because he loves babies (and then told me she has 4 kids and nodded her head as if to say it was her husband's fault).

They said their goodbyes and left but about 10 minutes later the lady and her son returned, this time with her husband in tow. She said, "I had to bring my husband over to see your beautiful baby." He took one look at Astrid and when she smiled at him you could tell she melted his heart. His face lit up like a Christmas tree. "What a cute baby!" he exclaimed. Then he looked at me and asked, "That's your baby?"

I'm sure he wasn't implying that I'm not cute because my baby pics could give Astrid a run for her money. And I still think I'm pretty cute if I do say so myself. I'm sure it was because of the race issue. Astrid looks White. I look Asian. End of discussion. In the past when I've gotten puzzled looks or questions I've always explained how my husband is German and has blond hair and blue eyes and Astrid takes after him...blah blah blah. But not today. Today there would be no explanation added like a footnote to explain how it was possible for me to have a blond haired, blue eyed, white baby. "Yes, she's my baby" I said with a smile. In the nicest possible symbolic elbow nudge to the ribs his wife quickly intervened and said, "Oh she has her Mommy's eyes but not their color." That made me feel better.

Maybe I should wear a t-shirt when I go out that says, "My recessive genes won and I have a White baby to prove it." or "Yes, she's my baby. Would you like to see my scar?" Sheesh.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Girl, welcome to the "Insensitive Comments Received from Idiots Club."

But they were right about one thing--she IS beautiful!

Rose said...

Ahhh thanks Amy!

Peter said...

Ritsu gets the same thing sometimes .. people think she's the nanny ... ah well .. we know that we are changing the world by making these inter-racial beauty babies :) and yes .. Astrid is very cute ! (so is the mom of course)

and no, don;t need to see the scar :)

Trailhead said...

Groooooooaaaaaan. You have the patience of Job.

A lesser person might look down at Astrid, do a double take and say "Oh my God, you're right! This isn't my baby! Where did this one come from? Well, she's kinda cute so maybe I'll just keep her."