Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Quick & Easy Recipe - Spaghetti Pie

I'm always looking for quick and easy recipes that are also healthy and taste good. With a kid it's hard to spend hours in the kitchen but I still strive to make home cooked meals whenever possible. With online recipes it's always hit or miss. Last night I tried a spaghetti pie recipe and it turned out pretty well. I will definitely make it again but I will add more veggies next time.

I popped this in the oven while Uwe was bathing Astrid. Then while I was feeding Astrid and putting her to bed, Uwe sprinkled the mozzarella cheese over the top of the dish and made a salad. So by the time we were both done dinner was served.

For vegetarians this dish would be just as yummy with no meat and more vegetables, and/or a meatless substitute.

Feel free to send me any tried and true recipes you may have. (Note: I do not eat beef.) You can paste a link in the comment section or send me an e-mail at rmhook@yahoo.com)

INGREDIENTS:
1 (6 ounce) package spaghetti (Most spaghetti comes in 16 oz, so I just estimated.)
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced (I used 2 cloves of garlic.)
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used one large fresh tomato and diced it.)
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 teaspoon white sugar (I used raw sugar.)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

DIRECTIONS:
1) Cook and drain spaghetti. Stir in margarine, parmesan cheese and eggs, while spaghetti is hot.
2) Form spaghetti mixture into a crust in a buttered 10 inch pie plate. (I used a small casserole dish.)
3) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
4) In a skillet cook the turkey, onion, green pepper and garlic. Stir in the undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and oregano. Heat through.
5) Spread cottage cheese over the spaghetti crust then pour in the turkey and tomato mixture.
6) Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 minutes.
7) Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top of the pie then bake for 5 minutes longer, until cheese melts.

2 comments:

Trailhead said...

Spaghetti pie, yum. My mom makes a recipe similar to this. She started putting soy meat in it when my sister and I and TS all swore off meat.

And you know what's weird? I made a rotini casserole very similar to this last night. We must have been operating on the same wavelength.

Rose said...

TH,
I would love some vegetarian recipes! Do you have any that are quick and easy and don't use soy?