Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Mama bear, Papa bear, & Baby bear

I remember when we decided to have a child together I made Uwe promise that I would never have to change a diaper and he happily agreed to always change the baby's diaper when he was home so I'd never have to do it. Back then just thinking about changing a dirty diaper would initiate a gag reflex. Oh how naive I was and how much I've changed! (For the better I hope!)

Once the baby was born I was surprised to feel these powerful mama bear instincts surging through my body. Sure I still hated changing a dirty diaper but it really wasn't that bad. My desire to protect her and care for her overtook the feelings of being grossed out by poopy diapers. In fact one day when she was a newborn I saw her bearing down and could tell she was trying to go to the bathroom but was having difficulty. When I opened her diaper and saw the walnut sized lump between her cheeks I didn't hesitate to reach in and pull it out with my bare hands. I'd do anything for my baby not to suffer. I changed her diaper, washed my hands, held Astrid in my arms and smiled to myself. I was a bonafide mom.

Uwe pointed out that I'm very particular about how to care for our little one. How can I not be? Every minute since she was born I've had to anticipate every need, feeling, desire, and remedy for Astrid. Since she can't speak yet and tell me what she needs I have to think 2 steps ahead to make sure all her needs are taken care of. For example: Is she warm enough? Is she too warm? Is she cranky because she's tired or hungry or teething or sick or gassy? Is she comfortable? Does her diaper need to be changed?

It was overwhelming at first, but now I'm grateful that I was able to spend so much time with her and be her primary caregiver. It allowed me to become the expert in taking care of Astrid.

One evening Uwe was explaining how he adjusted the temperature in Astrid's room and he started off by saying, "I don't want to bring out the 'Wrath of Rose' but..." and then proceeded to tell me how he adjusted the temperature so Astrid would be more comfortable. I had to laugh because I never thought of myself in that context of being so protective of my baby.

Uwe and I have become more comfortable in our new roles as mama and papa in the past 8+ months. We're both not as overwhelmed anymore since we've learned so much, and we've got our routine down, and have a happy, healthy baby to show for all our hard work.

2 comments:

Trailhead said...

Um, let's just say we can identify with the poop-pulling issues. It sort of happens before you can even think about it consciously, doesn't it? "Wow, I just pulled a turd out of someone's butt." Of course, it's obviously not just "someone."

Rose said...

Yep and around day 5 she had the cutest little turd. I remember describing it to Uwe and saying, "You wanna see it?" Who would have thought I'd ever think a turd was cute. Sheesh.