Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Day 4 - Good morning Paris!

It's our 2nd day in Paris, but first morning (as we arrived by train yesterday afternoon).We got up bright and early for breakfast and to visit the Louvre and Notre Dame. In the pic above you can see the Eiffel Tower in the distance. We walked from the area around there to where we're standing in the photo. We put Astrid in her stroller and off we went. Walking is a great way to see the city with the added benefit of getting some exercise."Don't bother us. We're eating."

I thought Uwe was taking a photo of Astrid only, hence the look on my face. Note to self: next time when in doubt ask, "Am I going to be in this photo?" Here I'm enjoying my cafe' au lait (coffee with milk). Normally I don't have coffee with breakfast, as I'm not a coffee drinker. Except for my occasional ice blended cafe mocha on a hot afternoon, I prefer to skip the calories, coffee breath, and rapid heart beats. But like they say "When in Rome..."

I absolutely love the coffee here. For some reason it tastes better. Not to mention the ham and cheese sandwiches which are so simple and light, yet delicious. I could eat French sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as there are a variety to choose from and they really hit the spot.

On a side note, the man sitting behind us was the local restaurant drunkard. He was harassing the owners and waiter, and demanding this and that. When he knocked his wine glass off the table and it shattered on the sidewalk, he had the audacity to blame it on the table.

He came to our table and started talking to Astrid and touching the skin on her arm with his tobacco stained finger. It made me a bit uncomfortable, so I looked over at Uwe and saw he was sitting on the edge of his seat, watching every move with the look of murder in his eyes. Nothing happened thank goodness. We pretty much ignored him and when he walked away, I cleaned Astrid's arm with a baby wipe.

Uwe and I talked about it afterwards and I told him how I'd never seen him that protective of Astrid before, and that he looked like he was going to kill the guy. Uwe said if that guy would have touched her face he would have. Wow...and I thought I married a pacifist! But I know what he meant. There's a fine line between a stranger being friendly, and quite another when they make unwelcomed advances and you feel threatened. Especially when it involves your child. You suddenly turn into a ferocious Mama or Papa bear who will protect their little one at all costs.

First item on our agenda after breakfast is visiting the Lourve...

1 comment:

Trailhead said...

Ever since we had the cafe con leche in Spain, my brother and I have been searching for something remotely, even vaguely similar over here, to no avail.

I'm glad to know I can probably get it in Paris.

calories, coffee breath, and rapid heart beats.

You say that like it's a bad thing...