Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Thursday, October 25, 2007

No more tears at bedtime

When Astrid goes down for her afternoon nap, or bedtime in the evening:

I explain to her what we're going to do when she wakes up (i.e., going to Grandpa & Grandma's house, zoo, gymnastics class, park, swimming, etc.) and tell her that she better get some sleep to be well rested for it. I sing to her, rub her back, and then tell her goodnight and that I love her and will see her in the morning (or in a little bit if it's a nap).

That usually does the trick. It helps that she understands what I'm saying and we can have a conversation about it.

Prior to this milestone she would cry as soon as she saw me walking towards her bedroom door. She would fall asleep shortly afterwards, but it was still a constant (and heartbreaking).

(Disclaimer: Occasionally there are still tears when she doesn't want me to leave, but not nearly as often. She's more apt to say, "Stop Mommy!" than cry. Even better is when I say I'm going to leave now and she says, "Okay Mom. Goodnight!" and rolls over to sleep.)

No comments: