Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Monday, April 24, 2006

Fascination with the remote control

What is it with remote controls and babies? Why are babies so attracted to the remote? Astrid is drawn to our remote controls and whenever they're in sight she wants to play with them. Recently she figured out that if she pushes the "on" button, the TV will turn on. Now we have to keep the remotes out of her reach. Especially so she doesn't push all the buttons and create some kind of error.

During the day we don't even have the TV on, as we don't want her glued to the tube. In the evenings before she goes to bed we rarely have the TV on. If we do, it's on in the background for the occasional ballgame or news. So it's not like she watches any TV.

I gave her a remote from a TV we don't use, but she doesn't want to play with that one. Go figure...she only wants to play with the live remotes.

7 comments:

Peter said...

Soon she will try to make phonecalls on the remote!

Very cute picture

Karissa (mommy) said...

Isabella is the same way. I think babies in general just like stuff with buttons. We also tried to give Isabella a remote that we didn't use, but she didn't like it either. At least now she knows she's just not allowed to play with any remote. She likes to try and grab it and then have us chase her while she runs around the house with it. But as soon as we get close she hands it over.

joanh said...

hi. I just had to post because I laughed when I read your post as my 7 month old is going through the exact same thing- remotes, phones, anything with buttons.

I stumbled on your blog when I was researching the Jumperoo. After seeing pics of Astrid and other blog babies so happy in it, I ended up getting one!

Your blog is awesome. After reading through it and seeing the adorable pics of Astrid, I found myself laughing as I went through MANY of the same things you went through. Isn't amazing to see how much they grow? I can't imagine my baby walking and talking in the next year.

Take care!

Mike said...

Evan is exactly the same way! Also with the cell phones -- and yes, he gets upset if we've put the phone in sleep mode. He wants to see the phone light up and make sounds when he presses those buttons!

Trailhead said...

Okay, Rose. I have long enjoyed the hilarious expressions Astrid gets. I vote for a post where you take the top 15 or so pics of her with the funniest expressions and post them one after another. That'd be hysterical. (You know, in all your non-existent spare time. Heh.)

Anonymous said...

She wants to watch CSPAN! Babies love CSPAN! I think. Well, I love CSPAN.

sherrie
www.citizenrobot.com

Trailhead said...

The only way she could possibly be watching C-Span is if it's set to Stephen Colbert's performance at the Correspondent's Dinner. That was the same kind of expression I got when I watched it.