Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Astrid is one year plus a day old

It's the day after Astrid's 1st birthday. Today Astrid is one year plus one day old.The nanny took this photo of Astrid. You can see our nanny Lorie's white tennis shoes in the background.

I asked Lorie to let Astrid roam around downstairs during the day (after she swiffers and sweeps) so that Astrid doesn't get bored being cooped up in the upstairs room, and for her to practice standing and walking.
Astrid loves this stuffed animal dog that our friend Fabian purchased for her after she was born. She never cared for it until a month ago, and now she always wants to hold it and snuggle with it.
Attack of the killer baby.
Standing tall.
I've read on other blogs that when babies start walking they tend to hold onto certain things like a toy, a bottle, a sippy cup, to help with their balance. It seems to give her more confidence when she's holding onto this stuffed animal dog to take a few steps.She still isn't walking yet but she's getting there.Talking to her image in the mirror. It looks like she's doing ballet by the way her toe is pointed.She's figured out how to open the closet doors, but miraculously when I tell her to close it, she does.Looking oh so cute.Still holding onto the doggie. She loves when I make the dog bark by making "woof" "woof" sounds.I just noticed today that Astrid has figured out how to open her wooden box. I'd never seen her be able to get at the pieces inside without me helping her.But today she slid open the bottom and pulled the shapes out all by herself.Banging the pieces together.Sliding the drawer open.

It's fascinating to see her develop each day. One day she'll suddenly know how to do something that just the day before she wasn't able to do.

I haven't gotten a photo of it yet, but she's now going for the doorknobs. She knows that's the way to open the door. But thankfully (for me!) she hasn't figured out how to turn the doorknob yet. (And I stress YET.)

1 comment:

Trailhead said...

Rose, these facial expressions are just killing me, they're so funny. And the "attack of the killer baby" one in the post below.