Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Friday, July 22, 2005

A picture is worth a thousand words



What a powerful, sad, and moving photograph! I did a double take before realizing that the small form in the foreground is a child.

This is the ‘Pulitzer Prize’ winning photo taken in 1994 during the Sudan famine. The picture depicts a famine stricken child crawling towards a United Nations food camp, located a kilometer away as it's being eyed by a vulture.

It's hard to comprehend such immense suffering in the world. Even though this photograph was taken over 10 years ago, unfortunately it's still very topical. The recent G8 Summit and Live 8 concert this year helped raise people's awareness of poverty. And one positive outcome of the G8 Summit 2005 was a pledge of increased assistance to Africa.

Astrid will be up for her next feeding in a few hours and I can't help but have this image in my mind and be thinking about it as I'm looking down at her sweet chubby cheeks.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Once you have kids, there's nothing more heartbreaking than seeing one suffering. I don't think I ever got the full magnitude of how terrible, but still beautiful, the world is, until I had Sam.

Rose said...

So true. When you have a child you realize how precious life is.