Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Time to use the restraints on the changing table

Another fall for Astrid and near heart attack for me.Astrid was on the changing table and sitting up as she always does. I reached down to grab a diaper and she fell over the side. I was standing right there but she went over the opposite corner end and landed right on the top of her head. It happened so fast I stopped breathing in that instant. She's fine, she came away with just a small lump on her head.

She only cried for a little bit and after she settled down a bit I put a cold towel on her head. I noticed a bruised bump rising on her forehead so I wrapped a frozen bag of peas in a towel and tried to put that on her head to help the swelling. Astrid kept pushing it away but I think it helped a little bit. After icing her forehead I had to go back and change her diaper and this time I used the restraints which keep her down on the table. She doesn't like it but it'll keep her from falling off again.

I gave her some baby Tylenol (her head must have been throbbing) and she played with her toys in her chair next to me like nothing happened.

A few hours later the lump was gone and the area on her forehead was just a little red/pinkish in color. When Uwe got home he had Astrid on his lap and felt around for the lump but couldn't find it. I had to point out the area to him. It's amazing how fast babies heal.

4 comments:

Shane H. said...

What a pitiful little look in the first picture. Then, in the second, I bet she was thinking...I'm gonna get you for this mommy. :) I sure wish there had been such things as "blogs" when my two were babies. What a wonderful way to document her first year. And, you do such a fantastic job of it.

Rose said...

Thanks Shane! What a nice compliment, and coming from a mom of 2 it means a lot to me!

Trailhead said...

The falling phase is kinda dicey, isn't it?

Glad to see she's none the worse for wear.

Rose said...

I'm glad it's just a phase and I hope she grows out of it soon. that or i'll have to invest in a helmet. =)