Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Friday, July 22, 2005

Vaccinations

Using Uwe's laptop I'm finally able to upload photos from my camera again. So in addition to this post you can scroll down and read the post from July 21st titled, "A Day in the Park".

Today Astrid got her vaccination shots. Five different vaccinations and 4 syringes (one had 2 combined). Two shots to each thigh.

The photos show Astrid at home after the shots. You can see the circle bandaid on her thigh.Last night I wasn't sure how I would be in a situation like that...seeing my kid in pain. But both she and I handled it surprisingly well. Uwe held her hands and I stroked her head and told her it was okay. With the first prick she cried and then her face got redder and redder when she realized it wasn't just once, but repeatedly. I saw a little bit of blood, the size of a tiny pin prick, form on Astrid's thigh. It was quicker than I thought it would be. A couple seconds and it was over. The nurse must have done it a thousand times. Swab with alcohol, one, two, bandaid...next leg...swab with alcohol, one, two, bandaid....done.

I immediately picked Astrid up and held her to me and tried to soothe her while telling her that the vaccinations were good for her so she won't get certain diseases. Hoping somehow she'd understand that what we did was not meant to hurt her, but a necessary evil to make sure she's inoculated against things like polio, diphtheria. tetanus, whooping cough, meningitis, and Hepatitis B.

Astrid calmed down after a bit and was just fine. Walking down the hallway Uwe and I could hear other babies/children crying in the other rooms and knew they were probably getting vaccinated as well.

She was good on the car ride back and fell asleep in her aquarium swing when we got home. When she woke up she was in good spirits for a bit and then started to get cranky. We noticed she had a slight fever so we gave her some tylenol drops. After her 8:30 feeding she went to sleep. The doctor told us the fever and crankiness can last up to 2 days. So far Astrid has been doing really well. We'll have to see how she feels tomorrow.

No comments: