Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Escape from LA


Uwe says that I always get the great photos with Astrid smiling really big. But I have to point out that the photo with me was taken after Astrid was fed (boy that hit the spot) and the photo with Uwe (see below) was taken before she was fed (how much longer?).

Once we were up on Sunday morning Uwe asked me what I wanted to do and I had 2 things in mind: 1) check out the Urth Caffe' (the double 'f' is not a typo) which everyone has been raving about and 2) check out a toy store called Acorn Store which boasts it doesn't offer a single thing that requires batteries or is made of plastic. Hasta La Vista Toys R Us.

The Urth Caffe' is unique in that it sells organic coffee, tea, and gourmet foods. It has 3 locations: 1) West Hollywood, 2) Beverly Hills, and 3) Santa Monica. We decided to go to the one in SM because the toy store is also located there, and to escape from LA's heat.


Unfortunately it was packed so seating was limited and they have this strange policy that you have to place your order at the register, pay, and then they seat you. They also had lousy service. But the thing that saved them was their good food, cute designs they make with the foam on top of the coffee, and their friendly valet. Otherwise it would have been our first and last time, but I think I will go back or at least try another location.

Uwe and I both had quiches. Uwe ordered the quiche with apple smoked bacon and leeks and I had the quiche with tomatoes and basil. We sampled from both of course and Uwe and I both preferred our own entrees. My quiche was absolutely delicious. The best quiche I've ever had!


If you look in the upper right hand corner you'll see a woman in a white floppy hat drinking coffee. She was staring at us (me, Uwe and Astrid) for a long time and then all of a sudden she broke down in tears and was sobbing silently in the corner. Uwe and I both immediately started playing the MADD ad libs in our head..the lady is crying because "____(fill in the blank)____."

We must have looked picturesque the 3 of us enjoying a Sunday brunch and spending time together. Made us feel sad that looking at us brought up sad or lonely feelings from this woman that we were sharing a courtyard with on a Sunday morning.

(And no, that's not our stroller. It belongs to the kid behind us. We still have the hospital issued one that Uwe despises. We're still researching and debating what stroller we should buy. I prefer a light, practical one with drink holders...like the one we have...and Uwe wants to get a heavier, studier, cooler model. Any recommendations?)

Uwe took this photo of the back of Astrid's head, as she was sitting on my lap. She has a demarcation line where there's hair, no hair, and then hair again. It's perfectly normal for babies to have bald spots on their back of their heads because that's the part of their head that presses up against the floor or mattress and gets the most constant friction and pressure. It will eventually fill in. For now it just makes us smile looking at it. Another first for us...watching baby's hair grow.

After brunch we went to the toy store but it was closed. (Not open on Sundays.) Wow...how European. But it had a large picture window we could look into and saw lots of wooden and handmade toys. We will definitely go back to check it out.

We did a little shopping on 3rd Street Promenade and enjoyed the street performers, ocean breeze, and each other's company before heading back home. It's kinda nice to venture out of LA once in awhile together as a family.

2 comments:

Trailhead said...

I wonder if the Acorn Store has on online presence. I knew things were getting grim when Trailhead Kid handed me a wooden block out of the toy box and asked me to turn it on.

Rose said...

Haha. Sounds like one of those cute stories out of Reader's Digest. I did a quick search and the store doesn't appear to have a website. I guess it's just an old fashioned store with patrons that actually walk in the store and look around. Old school style. Like father like son eh?