Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Monday, July 25, 2005

The Countdown Begins











Astrid is 97 days old today. There's an old Korean tradition that when a baby turns 100 days old there's a big celebration, lots of Korean food and moon cakes, and each guest brings a gold ring for the baby. The baby should have at least one ring on each finger so that he/she will live a prosperous life.

Back in history many children didn't live past 100 days old so it was a true reason to celebrate. Even now I think it's a sweet tradition that gives parents an excuse to dress up in traditional Korean outfits and eat lots of Korean food and have friends and family over to oooooh and ahhhh over the baby.

I remember seeing photos of my brother's 100 days party. It shows me at 2 1/2 years old and my mom all decked out in our Hamboks (traditional Korean dresses), my baby brother in his Korean garb, my dad wearing a tie, and my dad's side of the family very casual in jeans. My two cousins were wearing t-shirts with 70's logos (one could have been KISS). Classic clash of two cultures.

Uwe and I are going to celebrate in our own way by going to a Korean restaurant with Astrid and buying her a silver ring with her name engraved on the inside.

Only 3 more days to go...

2 comments:

April said...

Happy 100 days! Its really cool that you get to celebrate Astrid's life before she even has a birthday. I bet every parent would LOVE to do that!

Anonymous said...

Happy 100 days to Astrid

Lisa