Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Schoene Blauen Augen (Pretty Blue Eyes)

Schoene Blauen Augen (Pretty Blue Eyes) is a famous German song. This song used to remind me of Uwe, but now it makes me think of Astrid as well.

When I was pregnant with Astrid I hoped/wished/prayed to the Gods that give out eye color, that our baby would have blue eyes like her daddy. Genetically speaking it was feasible since my dad's side of the family has light eyes. However, my mother's side of the family is Asian and they all have dark eyes. So the real possibility of having a blue-eyed child was up in the air. As a kid I thought Crystal Gale was beautiful. (Yes, it was the 70's.) I had long brown Crystal Gale hair but was sadly missing Crystal Gale's blue eyes. And of course the song she's known for is "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue." How very appropriate eh? (It was only when I was older that I discovered the song "Brown-eyed Girl" and by then I had accepted my brown eyes.)

So in the end I got my wish...Astrid has beautiful blue eyes.

I know...I know....baby's eyes can change color...but her eyes are getting lighter each day so it seems like they will stay blue.

No comments: