Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Friday, July 08, 2005

Movie Night

Tonight Uwe and I went to see the movie Batman Begins. It was surprisingly good. I really enjoyed it. Thank goodness they revamped the Batman franchise and got a good script and director (Chris Nolan who did Momento) and went back to the beginning. It explained why Bruce Wayne became Batman and why he chose the bat as his new persona, as well as explaining how his compound (aka the bat cave) came to be. Kudos for making the movie scary as well. Well done and a fun ride.

Christian Bale (from American Psycho) was an excellent choice as Bruce Wayne/Batman. He gave the character a dark edge. Also, Michael Caine was a believable Alfred, and Gary Oldham transformed himself into the good, decent cop of Gothem City.

My only criticisms which still did not ruin my enjoyment of the movie are:
1) I felt Liam Neeson was miscast but his acting is always superb.
2) I could have done without Katie Holmes (Doesn't anyone else think of her as the little girl from Dawson's Creek? Yeah yeah I know she's with Tom Cruise now. I must be getting old).
3) I felt some of the comic relief...aka jokes...were forced and a bit distracting. But thank goodness they kept the "camp" factor down to a minimum.

I'm not a Batman fan but after seeing this movie, I'm looking forward to seeing the next one in the series. Finally a franchise like the old James Bond movies where you have a cool good guy character to root for.

This was only the second time we've been to see a movie since we had Astrid. On our first movie night post-baby, we saw Lords of Dogtown. I enjoyed that one too and highly recommend seeing the documentary if you haven't see it yet. (There is a documentary AND a hollywood movie.) The documentary is called Dogtown and Z-boys.


On both occasions Astrid's Godmother Jill babysat so Uwe and I could go to the movies.

Here she is with Astrid right before we left for the movies.
Jill is both kind and patient. She'll make a great mom someday.

2 comments:

Peter said...

So good to have someone you trust so you can have movie night!!! ... took us a long time before we actually went out for things like that.

As for Katie Holmes .. since I have never seen Dawsons Creek, I will only remember her for showing both her 'talents' in "The Gift" :)

Anonymous said...

awww....thanks! i love taking care of her and i look forward to when i have a child of my own and a playmate for astrid! =o)