Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Groovy Girls

When I saw this doll in the toy store I thought to myself "That looks like a grown up Astrid" (i.e., an Asian and Caucasian mix) so I got it for her.







She'll still too young to play with it. At first Astrid thought it was funny, and then she started putting it in her mouth. The doll is from a collection called "Groovy Girls". I had no idea they were so popular and come with changeable clothes, accessories and even furniture. There are also "Groovy Boys" in case you were wondering.

Meet Groovy Girl Natalya

"The hippest playmates and most fashionable friends, the Groovy Girl collection is spectacular. Designed with an eye for style, the groovy playmates sport funky, removable outfits with cool details like hook-and -loop closures and awesome accessories. Beauty comes in all colors, styles and sizes. As no two styles are alike, these special Groovy Girls teach children to celebrate diversity."

What a refreshing concept! When I was growing up, my dolls were Caucasian with blond hair and blue eyes. There was no diversity in my doll collection. It wasn't until I was 10 and my parents brought back a Hawaiian doll for me from their vacation, that I actually owned an "ethnic" doll.

I like the name "Groovy Girls" too...reminiscent of the 60's.

1 comment:

April said...

cute doll! I've never heard of them before either.