Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day 2006

Uwe didn't want me to make a fuss about Father's Day. (He said that it wasn't that big a deal, and Mother's Day was much more important.) But since Uwe is a father, and a great one at that, (plus I couldn't have done it without him), he deserves a little token of appreciation from me and Astrid on Father's Day (if not year round). For a sentimental gift Uwe received a keepsake black lacquered box with a photo of all three of us (from Easter brunch at Descanso Gardens this year) embossed on the top. Uwe's going to keep his cuff links inside it.
On Friday I had this fruit arrangement from edible arrangements delivered to Uwe's office. The porcelain soccerball vase is a reference to Uwe's love of soccer. (He's been glued to the World Cup games.) Unfortunately the mylar balloon that I ordered with it that said, "Happy Father's Day" was missing, and the vase was in a boxed container that covered the soccer ball. But it's the thought that counts right?

When we first met, Uwe would eat fruit alone for meals and my endearing nickname for him was "fruit fly". He still LOVES fruit so I knew he'd enjoy the fresh fruit, and the creativity of it.

Being the super sweet and thoughtful husband and father that he is, he took photos of it for my blog, and waited until I got home to show it to me, before dismantling it and sharing the fruit with me and Astrid. (Do I have a keeper or what?!)

On Father's Day I had an unexpected emergency in my family and even though Uwe had an appointment, he told me not to worry that he would make other arrangements so that he could take care of Astrid so that I could go to the hospital. I felt awful that I wasn't at home pampering my husband/father of my child on Father's Day (and I honestly can't remember what we did for Father's Day last year, probably because I was so sleep deprived). But knowing Uwe, I know he feels that those designated "Hallmark" days don't really matter, it's all the days in between that do.
This photo was taken on Father's Day and I thought it was apropos for a Father's Day post. Uwe's holding Astrid upside down and blowing raspberries on her tummy as Astrid's squealing and laughing and having fun with her Papa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos and the fruit soccer ball is awesome! So creative!

Glenn Hannan said...

I just want to thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice Information I’ve ever seen i like it i learn something today. Edible Arrangements Mississauga