Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

GAD1 Arrive in Atlanta/Gayla & Abby

We are in Atlanta, Georgia for 3 days.

Georgia is the 8th U.S. state that Astrid has been in (CA, NV, NY, UT, MT, WY, FL, and now GA).

Airport security said Astrid looked like a Disney character...all smiles and looking oh so cute with her pink hat on.We went to visit Gayla and her daughter Abby who live in Atlanta.

In the pic above Astrid and Abby are checking each other out. It was so sweet to see them interacting with one another. Here Astrid is smiling at Abby. Soon afterwards Abby gave Astrid a kiss on the cheek. (Sometimes the camera just doesn't take a photo fast enough.)

When Uwe went to another room to change Astrid's diaper, Abby was right there with them. When her mom, (Gayla) asked Abby what she was doing, Abby answered innocently, "I'm watching." How cute is that? =)

Abby might have a baby brother soon. (Gayla wants to adopt another child.) I'm sure she'll make a great big sister.Here Abby is getting to know Uwe.
Abby playing on Uwe's lap.
Abby had these cute glasses and it was hilarious to see Astrid with them on. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a good pic with her wearing them, since she kept taking them off.
This is the best one I could get and as you can see she's already pulling the glasses off.
A cute pic of Abby showing us the proper way to wear the glasses.

Afterwards we realized we didn't take any photos of Gayla. (In the photo above you can see Gayla's legs on the couch across from us). Isn't that so typical of parents to just take photos of the kids?

We ordered in some Italian food and had a nice dinner together.

I have a lot of respect for Gayla being a single mom and I told her so. Just imagine...there isn't a day that goes by when she can turn to her husband and say, "Can you take the kid? I need to...(fill in the blank)."

Gayla in turn told me she has a lot of respect for me being a stay at home mom. That's the first time anyone has ever said that to me. (Although I start a new job when I get back, I can definitely say that taking care of an infant was a full time job, and was in many ways more tiring than working a full time job outside of the home.)

Gayla and Abby also had presents for Astrid. A cute outfit and a fish rattle toy.

Thank you again Gayla and Abby for having us over and the gifts for Astrid!

I also found out that Gayla is an avid reader of my blog. Who knew? My blog has another fan. =)

Uwe has a penchant for broadcasting my blog to friends and coworkers without telling me. So it's funny when I meet them and they know about me and Astrid from my blog. Gayla said she felt like she knew me already from reading my blog.

Maybe after reading this entry Gayla will post her first comment. That would be so nice! *hint hint* When we got back to the condo, Astrid got her evening bath in the kitchen sink.

Something else to note: We went 10 months before getting our first outbreak of diaper rash. In Florida I noticed a few red dots on Astrid's bottom. Uwe went and bought some diaper rash ointment (we didn't bring any with us because Astrid's never had a diaper rash until now). When we got to Atlanta the rash was much worse (even though we had used the diaper rash ointment). I'm convinced it was because we were using cheap Publix diapers. They weren't as thick and didn't absorb the moisture as well as the Kirkland (Costco) diapers we normally use.

In the morning I'm going to a pharmacy to buy another brand of diapers and a different diaper rash ointment. Hopefully that will do the trick and clear up the diaper rash. That will be the first item on the morning agenda. Then Astrid and I will explore downtown Atlanta.

6 comments:

Amy said...

We are just getting our first diaper rash, too. (9 months). I am not sure why now--we haven't done anything different. But it is warm now, so we are spending a lot of time outdoors, whereas we hadn't before.

I'm dying to hear about your new job? Weren't you teaching before? Are you going back?

Rose said...

Amy,
I'll have a separate post about my new job and returning to work. Right now I'm trying to catch up on my blog.

Yes, I taught for a year before Astrid was born, but I won't be returning to teaching.

Anonymous said...

I finally had a chance to check your blog and found the cute pictures of Abby and Astrid. It was really great to finally meet you both in person. Abby was pretty excited to see she was featured in another blog besides mine. She still talks about Baby Astrid! :-)

Rose said...

Hi Gayla! Thanks for commenting on my blog. It was great meeting you and Abby in person as well.

I didn't know you had a blog. What's the URL?

Gayla said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gayla said...

It is the same blog I started when I when to Kazakhstan to adopt Abby. I try to update it every month or so but I am a little behind right now. :-) It is http://adoptingabby.blogspot.com/