Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Mustard Seed Cafe - Sunday morning breakfast

We tried Mustard Seed Cafe in Los Feliz for breakfast this morning.

Mustard Seed Cafe
1948 Hillhurst Ave
Los Feliz, CA 90027

Highlight
The highlight was the kid friendly restaurant with white butcher paper on the tables for kids to use their crayons to draw and color, and the kid pancake entree. For something like $2.25 kids get a big pancake (takes up the whole plate) with fresh strawberries and bananas on top (just plain with no unnecessary sweet sauces added). Perfect for Astrid.

(Another LA restaurant charged me $3.50 for Astrid's jello. So $2.25 for a healthy kid breakfast is a good deal in Los Angeles.)

Organic & Healthy
There were many organic ingredients and healthy selections on the menu. In fact I even think they spell out "all egg white" omelets (unlike diners that always give us the puzzled look when we ask for it, or charge us more which we always agree to do for the sake of our arteries and waist lines).

You can say that again
Oh and then U. and I were called "kids" by the waiter. "And what would you kids likes like to order?" The waiter deserved a big tip just for that comment, since recently my ego took a bruising when I was called "Mom" by a random sales lady. (Of course I was with Astrid...but still! Made me think of elastic high water jeans with white tennis shoes. I'm NOT that mom.)

Low Point
U. said the coffee was gawd awful and did not enjoy his food. He said his food was just all around terrible. Weird since my omelet was fine. Not great, but fine. I enjoyed Astrid's pancake more than my entree.

Will we go back?
Not sure. Maybe if it's just Astrid and I. But it wouldn't be our first choice. On Hillhurst we usually go to Home or Alcove, but we're always trying out different places. (That Vegan restaurant on Hillhurst is also good for lunch or dinner.) We're always on the quest for a good breakfast place - good coffee, good food, organic preferred and easy going with the kid. So the weekend quest for a good breakfast cafe continues.

No comments: