Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Home alone - without the husband and baby

Uwe packed up our SUV today with the essentials: Astrid, our dog, laptop, his mixer and speakers, clothes, diapers, diaper disposal, food and drink, and even a plastic baby pool for Astrid...and off they went to spend a week in the desert, in Joshua Tree. I have to work this week, but as soon as I get off work on Friday I'll be driving out there to meet them.

Joshua Tree is one of my favorite places on earth and the house we rent each year is right next to the Joshua Tree National Park (you can walk right into the park), and it's an oasis in the middle of the desert, perfect for maximum R&R.

This is the first time I've been away from Astrid overnight, and it will be for a total of 3 days before I see her again.

Last night I was preparing freshly cooked vegetables for Astrid. I was chopping up the steamed veggies into small pieces for the nanny to feed to her for lunch. Uwe saw what I was doing and saw that I was deep in thought and said, "Don't worry honey. I'll take good care of her and I'll take lots of photos everyday and post them on my blog so you won't miss her so much."

One of the sweetest things about being married is when your spouse can read your mind and is more concerned about your well being than you are about yourself.

Check out pics of Astrid in Joshua Tree on Uwe's blog at http://astridsdad.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Shane H. said...

Way to go Uwe! All dads should take a lesson from you. Rose, try to actually enjoy some time alone while you're away from Astrid. I know, I know...it's hard. Just try.

Trailhead said...

I really need to get to Joshua Tree.

I had an interesting link about mirages that I was going to put into your comment on the China mirage yesterday, but of course, Blogger wouldn't let me. Grr.

(Actually, I tried to post that last paragraph on the mirage post and it STILL won't let me comment on it. Urgh.)