Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Understanding

I'm amazed by how much Astrid's understanding has improved, even from just 3 months ago.

When she was 12 months old, she'd pick up her brush and start brushing her hair, and when I'd tell her "go read your book," she'd pick out a book and sit down and flip through it. Even earlier than 12 months she knew what her toothbrush was for, and would start brushing her teeth with it.

But now at 15 months her understanding of things has improved in other areas. For example:

There's this "Foot" book with opposites by Dr. Seuss book that I read to Astrid. Her favorite page is the "small feet" (which I say in with a small, quiet voice), and "big feet" (which I say with a loud, booming voice). Astrid thinks this page is hilarious.

I didn't think anything of it until the other day when she went and got the book on her own and flipped through it until she found that particular page and laughed out loud to herself and then brought it over to me to do my voices.

There's another page in that book with "slow feet" vs. "quick feet." One day I decided to act it out and show her the difference between "slow" and "quick". As she watched me and heard me do the voices that I use when I read the book to her, she went and got the book and found the exact page that I was reenacting.

Another example is when Uwe started singing, "This Old Man" and Astrid went and got the book and brought it to him.

Another time Astrid had her socks in her hand and she walked up to Uwe who was lying on the floor, and tried to put her socks on Uwe's feet.

For awhile now she's also been putting her books and toys away when asked. And recently Astrid throws trash away in the trash can, and puts her dirty laundry (like a used bib) in her laundry hamper on her own without being asked.

It also tickles me that she always wants to feed her food to me, Lorie (our nanny) and Uwe.

Here's a quote by Uwe (which he said to Astrid one evening) that really sums up how much Astrid has developed: "You're no longer just a blob anymore...you're a person now."

No comments: