Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Astrid conquers the stairs

When I got home this evening our nanny Lorie said, "I don't know if you ever saw this or not, but Astrid can go up the stairs now." As soon as she finished saying that Astrid was on her way back up the stairs. I was behind her worried that she'd fall, but since she basically crawls up the stairs by hoisting her leg up and over, and then grabbing the next stair with her hands, going up is pretty safe.

It's the going down part however that is going to give me a heart attack. I'm trying to show her how to go down backwards on her tummy, but she wants to walk back down like an adult would.

This is the first she's ever been interested in the stairs. Uwe and I were wondering when she'd start to climb them, but until now she never tried. I'm wondering if the toddler gymnastics classes she just started taking have anything to do with it.

So I guess it's time to finally get those baby gates since we have a real need now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh lord, my heart would be up in my throat! LOL

Andrew McAllister said...

I can remember worrying about the stairs, and like you said, especially the coming down. Of course my oldest just turned 16 so I have other types of crashes to worry about now (he is learning to drive). A different worry for every age, I guess.

Thank you so much for visiting To Love, Honor and Dismay and for leaving such a nice comment. See you next time!
Andrew