Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Monday, August 08, 2005

Fetal Position










Here's Astrid sleeping in the fetal position. I had fun playing with the contrast and brightness and couldn't choose which one I liked best so I'm posting both.

I remember when we brought Astrid home from the hospital and we always made sure she was lying on her back when sleeping. We were so afraid that she would smother herself. When she didn't cry after 3 hours for her next feeding Uwe and I would get concerned and check to see if she was still breathing. But now Astrid sleeps a solid 5-8 hours a night and her neck muscles are a lot stronger and she can even roll over now.

Our jeweler who's Chinese commented one day when she saw Astrid in her stroller (with her head turned so that she was lying on her cheek), that babies who always lie on their backs get flat faces, so you need to put them on their side so that they can get a long face. I told her that sounded very Chinese. (Koreans have a bunch of these old wives tales as well so it sounded very familiar. One that was done to me as a baby was my nanny drank the broth of seaweed soup and licked my entire face. It's supposed to ensure that the baby grows up with good skin. To this day my mother will recite the seaweed story and say to me, "See? You have good skin!" I laugh at how ridiculous it sounds but then again my brother got acne in high school and I never did. Just a coincidence?) She said her son always slept on his side as a baby and he has a long face even though her and her husband have round faces. I wasn't so convinced and told her that if she looked back far enough she'd probably find a long-faced ancestor.

So anyway I'm hoping the night off for the back of Astrid's head will give her bald spot a chance to start filling in.

No comments: