Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Saturday, January 31, 2009

A sick Astid and a presentation at work

Yesterday Astrid's school called me to tell me Astrid was sick and asked if I could come pick her up and take her home. She had a fever, would not eat her lunch and was just not herself. Picking her up at school, she was sleeping instead of playing with the other kids and drooling a lot.

Today she still had a fever and was lethargic, and had stomach cramps and diarrhea. I had to take her to the bathroom constantly and be very gentle with the toilet paper because her bottom was getting sore.

There was no way I could take her to school because she was still sick, and I was afraid she'd go in her pants. I had a scheduled presentation to give at 11 AM - a training session internally at my firm for some associates, and it's difficult to coordinate a time when everyone is available on the same day/time. What to do? I decided to bring Astrid with me to work and after the presentation to return home.

All the ladies love her at my office. The receptionist who has been with the company for over 20 years always has a stash of kids stuff in her desk, and every time she sees Astrid, she gives her a gift. Today is was a bug catcher with 3 small stuffed animal insects inside like a butterfly. Then there's another sweet lady who works in my dept. and is a grandmother who also gives Astrid gifts when she sees her. Today she gave her a stick puppet. And as we walk through the halls all the ladies "ohhh and awww" and if they see or hear her in my office they come by to chat with her. No wonder my kid always wants to go to my office!

It was a bit of a struggle to get Astrid distracted with coloring when her stomach hurt and she had to keep going to the restroom, so finally I just held her in my lap with her head on my bosom and just held her close, while I typed and worked at my computer. Her fever would spike and then go away just like that, and then spike again.

At my presentation, we had an intimate group and no one questioned what my kid was doing there. They all welcomed her, and made room for her to sit in the chair nearest me, to be close to me. She had her paints and was painting away, sitting at the boardroom table. It was the BEST! She was painting and quietly listening and observing everything. But not a peep during the entire 40 minute presentation. And no emergency trips to the restroom either. It was a huge success!

Afterwards she was all questions about what happened in the boardroom. And she asked me, "Mom are you proud of me? I was a good girl."

Yep, I am a proud Mama.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a save! I'm glad it worked out for you and Astrid both. She IS such a good girl--bless her little heart.

Is she feeling better now?