Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Monday, July 10, 2006

It pains me to go to work when the baby's sick

Today was the first time I've had to go to work when Astrid's been sick.

She cried really hard when I left for work this morning. Harder than usual. It took all her remaining strength to cry , and it broke my heart. It was like she was saying, "Mama don't go! I need you here to take care of me!" This is one downside of being a working mother. I had to go to work, when I wanted to stay home and comfort my baby and care for her. I knew our nanny would do a great job, but Astrid wanted me there caring for her and no one else.

I kept calling home to see how she was doing. Her fever got really high again, so I had our nanny give her a lukewarm bath. She also wasn't eating. In the morning she didn't want to eat solid foods for breakfast so I gave her a bottle with formula at 7 AM and she drank 6 ounces. (I think she may have a sore throat and it's painful for her to swallow, but she needs to eat to keep up her strength to fight this virus.)

When I called in the afternoon, the nanny said she couldn't get her to eat anything. That did it. I finished up as much as I could at work and came home early to take care of the baby. My main concern was her not eating. The nanny said she was very lethargic, and wasn't playing or moving around much. By the time I got home at 4 PM she had gone almost 9 hours without eating and had no energy.

Our nanny had repeatedly tried to give her a bottle, but Astrid wouldn't take it. But when I got home, I immediately gave her a bottle, and she drank 4 ounces. I know that probably made our nanny feel bad, because I know she tried her best, but there is something to say about a mother's touch. I've fed her since she was a newborn and she feels loved and gets a lot of comfort in my arms.

Tonight our nanny called to see how the baby was doing. She said she was worried because the baby was so sick and wasn't eating. I thought that was really nice, that she was concerned about Astrid, and thinking about her after hours when she was in her own home.

No comments: