Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Napping in a big girl bed

Astrid's pack n' play was all setup in the guest room of the house we're staying at, but Astrid wanted to sleep in the bed instead. We've been discussing when would be a good time to switch from the crib to a real bed for Astrid lately, so I thought I'd try it as a sort of experiment for today's nap, to see if she was ready. Less than a minute after I closed the bedroom door, Astrid got out of bed and opened the door.I told her that either she stayed in the bed, or she'd have to take a nap in her crib. I tucked her back into the bed, and closed the bedroom door once again.This time she got out of bed, and quietly cracked open the door to look out. So we had a repeat performance of me tucking her back in and telling her that she had to stay in her bed and go to sleep or I'd have to put her in her crib.The third time, she got out of bed but didn't open the door. She stood by the door and just cried. So I put her in the pack n' play crib and after many protests she finally laid down and took a nap.

She definitely likes the idea of sleeping in a bed, but she's not ready for it. Or at least I'm not. I don't like the idea of having to repeatedly put her back to bed. The crib is just so much easier. I know she's safe in there and she can play and fall asleep on her own. Eventually we'll have to go through the sleeping in the bed stage, but I'm not looking forward to it. I've heard stories of parents getting woken up in the wee morning hours, out of a sound sleep, with their kids standing over them - scaring them half to death. Eeek.

No comments: