Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

School Visit

Today Astrid and I spent the afternoon at my elementary school where I teach. It was the first time I've been back to visit since I went on maternity leave. All the ladies in the office ooh'd and ahhh'd at the baby. Astrid had a smile for every person who took a peek at her. Everyone commented on what a happy baby she is and her pretty eyes. What a little charmer Astrid is! One aide even said, "Oh my, with those eyes you're going to have a lot of boys knocking on your door." Oh my indeed.

Here we are with some of my 4th and 5th grade students. When I walked into the classroom Astrid and I were met with exclamations of, "Mrs. Hook!" and warm smiles from all the kids. Oh and of course the obligatory, "Where is Mr. Hook?", to which I responded, "Oh he's at work." I still remember right before I went on maternity leave a student asked me if Mr. Hook would be the substitute teacher and teach the class while I was out. When my laugh and "No" answer was met with a "Why not?", I responded, "Oh he already has a job." (Yeah I use "Oh" a lot when I'm stumped and thinking of an answer.")

This Thursday is the last day of this school year for my students. My fourth graders will go on summer vacation and will return mid August to rule the school as big fifth graders. My fifth graders will be graduating from elementary school and after school break will be going to middle school. One of my 5th grade students asked me if I could come to his school and teach 6th grade. Sweet.

The graduating 5th graders are nervous and excited at the same time. Many had their keepsake books that they received from the school, which they asked me to sign. I'll be at their culmination ceremony and the best graduation present I could give them...would be bringing Mr. Hook with me. We'll make sure we sign all their books and wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors. I really hope the best for them.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm an elementary teacher, too! Actually, I used to teach 4th grade, but now am asst. principal. I miss the classroom so much. I am on a one year sabbatical this year to spend the time with my babies.

I just wanted to say that Astrid has got to be the most beautiful baby girl (outside of mine, of course :)) that I've seen. Seriously, she's gorgeous!

Rose said...

Thanks Amy!