Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sick and thankful Astrid is 3 1/2

I came down with a bug and today it took all my energy to change Astrid into her pajamas and brush her teeth to get her ready for bed.

At bedtime I usually read her a book or two and sing to her, and play tickle games, and give her a massage. But not tonight. I was just too exhausted from being sick and all I could do was crawl up in her bed with her.

Astrid has been getting into the habit of reading a book back to me, that I just read to her. So tonight I asked her to read me "Sammy the Seal." She knows the entire story and can almost recite it. And she was happy to do it. "Okay mom. I'll read the book to you," she said.

And then afterwards she fell asleep. It took little effort and I was so relieved. The swim class helps. She has swim classes twice a week and they tire her out. Tonight she was showing me how she makes "ice cream scoops" with her hands and arms when she's swimming. Too cute.

We hired a part time nanny who picks her up early from school twice a week and takes her to her swim class and also to her music class at The Pasadena Conservatory of Music. She occasionally also babysits 1 or 2 other days a week so U. and I can go out - and she takes Astrid to the library or the park. She also gives her a bath at the end of the day which is a huge help to me.

In other ways I'm grateful that Astrid is 3 1/2 now too. For instance she can put on her seat belt now in the car (which is helpful when I've just gotten my nails done). She also can bring me things (i.e., like my purse) and put things away (i.e., like bring her glass or dish to the kitchen sink, getting me a safety pin for her socks, or putting away her hair bands). Today she vanished for a few minutes and when I found her, she had put on her socks by herself and did a good job. And then there's the hand washing which she can do on her own now. Just the other day I got a really bad paper cut and she immediately shouted, "I'll get you a bandaid mom!" and came back with a SpongeBob Squarepants bandaid for me.

In so many little ways she's becoming more independent and a big help to me.

No comments: