Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Brunch @ The Ritz Carlton

We had Sunday brunch at the Ritz Carlton in Pasadena.

I've been to the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niguel and enjoyed their brunch (and spectacular ocean views) and the one in Pasadena got really good reviews for it's brunch, so we decided to check it out.

The hotel was built in 1907 and is located on South Oak Knoll Avenue.

Here's how the hotel describes their brunch:

"Weekends are always more special when you choose Sunday Champagne Brunch at The Ritz-Carlton. The buffets are filled with traditional favorites including made to order omelets, fresh seafood salads and our signature bread pudding. Bloody Marys and Mimosas flow freely for added enjoyment."

The buffet brunch was good but it wasn't spectacular. The roasted game hen with mashed potatoes and the dim sum were tasty, but the variety of dishes was underwhelming and Uwe said the sushi wasn't that fresh. Also, when Uwe went back to get the game hen after my recommendation, after they just brought out a new plate, it was already cold. And the bloody mary bar was conspicuously missing. The dessert table however was very nice. They do a fresh fruit crepe which is really good since it is made to order (hot and fresh) and is cooked with a yummy sauce with fresh strawberries and raspberries. Mmmmm.
The brunch is served at the Terrace Restaurant which is more informal and has indoor and outdoor patio seating. Sitting outside sounded nice but it is still summer and it was a bit hot, especially with drinking hot liquids and bouncing a baby on your knee, but they do have nice umbrellas to block out the sun. The patio area is also located right next to the pool area. That seemed kind of strange. People in their bathing suits watching you eat and vice versa. But maybe that's just me.

Thee best brunch to date that Uwe and I have had is still the brunch at The Four Seasons in Chicago. Unfortunately I couldn't enjoy the brunch there to the fullest because I was in my first trimester of pregnancy with Astrid and I was suffering from morning sickness and food aversions, but I still LOVED the brunch. I had to stay away from the bloody mary bar and couldn't enjoy the mimosa (because of the alcohol), and had to skip the seafood and sushi (food aversions and food borne illness carried by raw fish). But the food was amazing, as was the selection and variety. Everything there was delicious. Here's a nice family photo. I made a joke to Uwe that now it's just me and the dog who have brown eyes in this house. Aren't their blue eyes pretty though? Uwe has very light blue eyes that are almost gray. Astrid's are a darker blue but getting lighter everyday.

Look at how Astrid looks at Uwe with pure adoration. I think it's reciprocal. What do you think?

Doing the "Törööö!" sound that Benjamin Bluemchen makes (the sound of an elephant trumpeting through his trunk). Uwe makes fun of me because I can't roll my r's and he says that I sound funny when I say it with my American accent.

Uwe went for a short walk with Astrid in her stroller and she fell asleep and took a short nap. It was long enough for Uwe and I to have an uninterrupted grown up conversation...about Hurricane Katrina mostly...and to enjoy our dessert sampler.

When Astrid woke up from her nap we quickly finished up and then took a walk around the hotel through their faux Japanese garden. They have a few ponds and a bridge but no Koi fish.

Just in time for us to get back home and take a nap before heading out to the Hollywood Bowl to see Brian Wilson perform.

No comments: